We've been crazy busy down in the Salus Processing Center trying to utilize as much fresh local product as possible! Highlights of production include:
|Peaches blanched and ready for peeling, pitting and slicing.|
|Finished product - peach slices for fruit cobbler!|
- 700 lbs of peaches were processed into slices for the salad bar and use in fruit cobbler.
- 300 lbs of potatoes were processed into wedges.
- We shucked and halved 400 ears of corn for the August 17th lunch.
- Carrots were processed into coins and sticks for use on the salad bar and on the hot line.
- Stewed tomatoes and peppers are in full production!
Apples are starting to come in, and we've been loving the new applesauce recipe from Josh Goldberg, a 2nd grade student at MRH. He won the 2010 Recipes from Home contest and Josh's Awesome Applesauce will be featured on the school lunch menu throughout the year. He will be at the Maplewood Farmers Market at Bottleworks today from 4:30-6 showcasing his recipe and providing samples.